Senior Integrated Communications Manager at Flock and Rally
Job Description and ExpectationsWe are currently hiring for this position. See below!
We’re all about you.You’re an ace storyteller, particularly when it comes to brand messaging, and you have significant experience developing and managing media relations campaigns, particularly those with digital and social media components.
A skilled writer who can make a press release feel like a fresh, objective feature article, you have developed many a content strategy for a variety of target audiences.
You are comfortable running meetings with executives, journalists, elected officials, and others who tend to be pressed for time, and while you know AP style inside and out, you use an Oxford comma whenever you wish.
Currently, you’re interested in a stable, senior-level position with an accomplished boutique agency. Well, that’s quite cool news, because we’re looking for you. Right now.
Flock and Rally seeks to hire a senior integrated communications manager to provide a variety of clients with thoughtful, audience-first content strategy, insightful brand writing and an intuitive approach to media relations.
A little about us:Founded in 2010, Flock and Rally is a boutique, women-owned creative firm based in Columbia, South Carolina, offering branding and integrated communications services to clients in tourism, hospitality, the arts, the nonprofit sector, sustainability, real estate development, government, business, education, tech/new media, and beyond.
Flock and Rally builds new brands from the ground up, takes success stories to the next level, and keeps clients at top of mind with target audiences, utilizing best practices and hyperlocal insight across a variety of services including public relations, marketing, branding, social media, website development, graphic design, advertising and more.
To put it plainly, we’re known for building fresh, attractive campaigns, and our team is tops at getting the word out.
Have we won a bunch of awards from professional organizations we admire? Why yes, we do like to win prizes; who doesn’t? We’re particularly proud of winning Best in Show at the 2018 SC PRSA awards for the Total Eclipse Weekend Columbia, SC campaign, and we have received nine more industry awards since.
We are fortunate to work with clients with whom we feel we have a productive relationship and who are contributing to our community in a positive way.
We are connectors, facilitators and communicators. We love what we do.
Your role and responsibilities:While everyone at Flock and Rally might be expected to serve as needed on any aspect of a new brand project or integrated communications campaign, we have a need for specific strengths at this time.
We are looking for someone with experience and strength in these three areas, in order of importance:
- Synthesize, copywrite and edit messaging guidelines and toolkits for brands and campaigns
- Provide media relations services to clients
- Develop content strategy for integrated communications campaigns
While you may serve in a lead role on three to four projects, you might serve in an advisory role on a few others. For some projects, you’re brought in strategically to develop audience personas, weigh in on strategy and write the bulk of the messaging guidelines. Ideally, you are able to lead each part of a branding project if necessary, with team support.
You will be responsible for these types of tasks:
- Lead projects with minimal supervision
- Transform notes into beautiful press releases, talking points, op-eds, etc.
- Synthesize discovery notes and existing client materials into messaging guidelines
- Edit others’ work, share ideas and weigh in on feasibility of others’ ideas
- Develop press kits and pitch media
- Educate clients when it’s time to invest in photography, videography, etc. and manage those shoots
- Run client meetings or attend media interviews, all while fielding sporadic media inquiries and keeping tabs on major press mentions
- Work with our press archivist to report on ROI to clients on a regular basis
Your responsibilities from a 20,000-foot view:
- Raise awareness of impactful causes
- Affect what people think, say and feel about a place or an entity
- Attract audiences to engage, visit, buy a ticket, sign a lease, apply for a job, or indulge in a fabulous meal
- Drive new clients and new talent to phenomenal businesses
- Help innovative orgs connect their groundbreaking new initiatives with the right target audiences
Org structure:This position reports first to the V.P. of Marketing, then to the firm’s two owners/co-founding partners. There is room for multiple senior integrated communications managers on our team. We have a number of integrated communications managers and integrated communications associates on staff, as well as interns, contractors and vendors with whom we work to get projects done. We have a collaborative atmosphere more than a traditional middle manager system, but when new hires bring management skills to the table, we’re all ears.
Your qualifications and capacity:
- You have 6 to 8 years of solid experience working in PR or integrated communications, ideally with specializations in content strategy, writing and media relations.
- You have a four-year degree.
- You are able to see four, five, even six steps ahead of a current task and can create new pathways to getting great things done.
- You have excellent copywriting and copyediting skills. You delight in good grammar and know AP style well enough to defy it with grace, particularly when writing website, social media and ad copy.
- You are tech savvy and are reasonably up to speed on best practices for businesses on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
- You’re well-versed in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Google and G Suite products, Dropbox and other cloud-based platforms. You know your way around Mailchimp or similar email marketing platforms and have experience updating content in a variety of website CMS interfaces. You can resize photos on the fly and likely feel that X-Pro II is so 2014.
- You have the capacity to plan an entire campaign, delegate to staff and run point with the client, community leaders and major media contacts.
- You can do any part of any PR job yourself, but you have management experience, you believe in delegating to others, and you do so strategically.
- You communicate regularly with multiple media contacts and either know the Midlands’ and/or S.C. media landscape well, or you have extensive experience managing media relationships in other markets.
- You’re good with accompanying clients to 5:00 a.m. TV interviews, afternoon hardhat tours and evening cocktail receptions when necessary.
- You are comfortable receiving feedback.
- You are task driven, love to see things through to completion and can keep a project on deadline.
How is the work environment?Your days are varied. Some days, you might spend three hours in deep focus mode, working deeply on messaging, and then you might spend the other half of the day in meetings all over town.
At Flock and Rally, each employee’s primary tasks vary by project and are tailored to that person’s strengths.
We manage staff capacity carefully so that we can stay within each project’s budget and prevent overworking or burnout. While it is true that some weeks are more intense than others, we strive to give employees a balanced, 40-hour work week with the flexibility to accommodate an active lifestyle.
As a small agency that is growing gradually and intentionally, Flock and Rally places great importance on company culture and encourages staff to take part in defining and expanding on the things that make us special. It’s up to all of us to be inclusive, open-minded, generous, kind and graceful in the way we do business.
Our official office hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., but we maintain a flexible and adult work environment in which employees are encouraged to manage their time with the team in mind. We encourage our team to get involved in the community.
We’re looking for organized, inventive people to help us tell our clients’ stories and develop and manage their brands. We have a friendly, happy, driven team, and we share a toolset that is crafted from the best of the new as well as the tried and true.